Thursday, May 10, 2012

“… Happiness can be found in the darkest of time if one only remembers to turn on the light …”
Oh my gosh ... it has been so long since I have written that I didn't know that my blogger site for writing a post has changed, so I hope this post is coming through without any problems!

It is the month of May already, in that beautiful season of Spring! I don't have much time to write, but I will do my best. I passed my six month mark (actually 7 and half months) since I started my new ministry as spirituality/healing arts program director of The Franciscan Place at St. Joseph Family Center. Although things are going quite well, I feel like I am still learning the job and thus the days AND weeks seem to get away on me, thus not getting around to blog writing!


A couple of weeks ago now, I facilitated my third Cancer Survivor Retreat weekend for women here at TFP. These are amazing retreats for women whose lives have changed drastically because of a cancer diagnosis and treatment. The weekends have some enriching input  for the women as well as great deal of support for and from the others attending. The participants have time for rest, meditation, body movement (we had Yoga this time) and they are pampered  with a massage treatment and reflexology from our healing arts department - the women go home feeling renewed and en-couraged to keep plugging along!

After this last retreat I went for a nice walk towards evening time. Some badly needed reflection time for me ... I was tired and had to push myself to go, but as always it was good for me! As I journeyed through the back of the Gonzaga campus near the Spokane River I wandered into a little gazebo on a back lawn. Some very artistic students had made a lovely design on the cement floor with the quote above ~ “… Happiness can be found in the darkest of time if one only remembers to turn on the light …” It spoke to me that evening as I reflected on the women at the retreat (and from the other retreats) and on my own life in difficult times. Turning the light on is so important whatever that light is for you ... turning to one's faith, acknowledging God's love, taking extra time for prayer, connecting with a loved one or a good friend, using a gift or talent for your enjoyment, rereading a card or important letter, or looking up to see the beautiful sun shining through the trees!  God desires for us to be happy ... and yes, sometimes life is difficult ... In the darker times (and not so dark times) where do you find the light for true happiness??
Peace and Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment